Ex-RNLI Appledore Lifeboat & Dunkirk Little Ship,
'Jane Hannah MacDonald III'
The Ex-RNLI Lifeboat 'Jane Hannah MacDonald III' served at Appledore Lifeboat Station from 31st August 1910 to November 1922, saving 23 lives. JHM III is a fine, yet typical, example of a Self-Righting, ‘Pulling & Sailing’ ketch rig of standing lugsails Lifeboat. Built with two steel drop keels, with 10 oars and weighing just short of 4 tons, registered with the RNLI Official Number (ON) ‘611’ in 1910.
JHM III, fully manned, ready for launch at Appledore slipway.
Her construction was Mahogany on Oak planks with calico between, corked in Double Diagonal.
The first motorised Lifeboat, the V.C.S., replaced the Jane Hannah MacDonald III. The RNLI introduced motorised Lifeboats across the fleet from the early 20th Century replacing all Pulling (rowing) & Sailing Lifeboats across the country.
The Thames Iron Works production marking on the Bow post
The 'Jane Hannah MacDonald III' Lifeboat also served in Eastbourne as No.2 Lifeboat, and Flamborough for 5 years as No.1 Lifeboat, before being sold out of service. She then began a new phase of life as a privately owned boat with a succession of owners. Whilst in private ownership, JHM III took part in the Dunkirk 'Operation Dynamo' evacuation.
The Appledore Maritime Heritage Trust is the custodian of the the Ex-RNLI 'Jane Hannah MacDonald III' Lifeboat which is registered with National Historic Ships and the Association of Dunkirk Little Ships.
The aims for 'Jane Hannah MacDonald III' are to:
Acquire the 'Jane Hannah MacDonald III' Lifeboat.
Restore the Lifeboat to its original RNLI operational condition and build a Lifeboat carriage to transport the Lifeboat.
Preserve and maintain the Lifeboat for future generations.
Educate everyone about the 'Jane Hannah MacDonald III' Lifeboat, and the lady who benevolently donated to the RNLI and who's name is bestowed upon the Lifeboat.
Current Status @ 6th Jun 2020
The Lifeboat was bought and transported back from France by Simon and James Morris and Rob Braddick, and is securely stored pending restoration.
The boat was donated by Simon, James and Robert on 4th Jun 2020 to the Trust.
The Lifeboat ownership was transferred to the Trust and re-registered with National Historic Ships UK.
Planning is currently underway, engaging a Shipwright to survey the Lifeboat and put together a plan for renovation.
Sourcing a protective cover and undertaking essential preservation work.
Press releases have been issued to various media outlets June 2020.
Further press release will be issued as renovations progress.